Lifestyle blog written by Tanner Mathewson

Monday, April 15, 2019

Every Day Messy Waves


Hello, again! This week I decided to do a tutorial on my go-to messy waves. I love to do this at the beginning of the week on freshly washed hair. They usually last me a solid 3 days before I have to wash and style it again. This technique it makes it so that even when the curls are slept on and loosen, it looks like it's on purpose. I usually just wake up, brush it out with my fingers, add some dry shampoo and I'm good to go.  

1. Start with clean, dry hair. Apply an oil or heat protectant. If you are one of my clients, I've probably talked about how obsessed I am with Kristin Ess and her product line at Target. Don't get me wrong, I love my salon quality products, but these are an affordable option that smell amazing and work great. I apply her working serum on my ends and mid section.


2. Section the hair. As a general rule, all hair that frames the face is curled away from the face. I go in with a 1.25"  barrel, starting at the top of the strand and wrapping the hair down. I love to take an old curling iron and remove the handle. This way I can use it like a wand but the barrel is the same width all the way down, which keeps the curls from looking too tight and little-girlish. If you are better with a curling iron than a wand, that works too! Just make sure you aren't curling the ends. I typically curl 2 pieces away from the face, and then two pieces toward my face. If I alternate which direction the curls are going the result ends up being more messy and voluminous.


3. Once you've curled the bottom section, let down the middle section of hair and repeat. Do not separate the curls until the end. 

Tip: Try to hold the curling iron straight up and down.


4. Finally, remove the clip from the top section. Curl all of the hair on the top section away from the face. In my opinion this keeps it from looking too messy and it's just more flattering. I also like to take smaller pieces on the top section so that the curls are a little more defined. 


5. Spray the Kristin Ess Beach Wave Spray on the mid section and ends. This give the curls separation, texture, shine and it just smells amazing.


6. Separate the curls with your fingers! Done! 


Thank you so much for taking the time to read this! If you have any questions or if I left anything out please let me know! Any other tutorial requests? Comment on here or on my instagram! 

lovelovelove, 
Tanner













Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig