Lifestyle blog written by Tanner Mathewson

Monday, September 2, 2019

General Life Update: September 2019

My people! 
I know if you're reading this then you truly are one of my people because this post isn't exactly invigorating. It's just a grab a glass of wine, and let's talk kind of read.



When I started this blog my intention was to offer something useful to my readers: whether that be giving you the styling knowledge to make you feel like you have new hair, sharing skincare knowledge to make you feel like you can slay at life, or just conversing with you all about my favorite health and wellness tips. I don't care what it is I'm writing about, as long as I can offer you guys something useful. 

Tonight's post might not necessarily be useful, but it will be therapeutic for me because it brings me back to doing something that fuels my soul... writing

So, instead of my usually curated, organized, tips and tricks blog post I'm just going to give you guys a general life update. Grab a glass of wine, and let's chat. 

If I'm being honest, this week- okay, this past MONTH has been a mess around here. By around here, I mean me. I am the mess. I am the type of person who thrives on following a schedule, a routine, and healthy habits. Even though I thrive following these things, I am naturally someone who craves the opposite of structure. If it were up to me I would run around like a chicken with it's head cut off- but that isn't how I thrive. I am my best self when I am organized and disciplined.

This month I have been neither organized or disciplined.

Normally, I would hide this from the world and punish myself mentally with endless negative self talk, but I just finished The Gifts of Imperfection by Brené Brown. If you're like me and you find your worth in how much you accomplish on a daily basis, READ THIS BOOK. She breaks down the reasoning behind why we feel the need to be so perfect all of the time- and how it's impossible. SO, rather than beating myself over this past month I'm going to give myself grace and embrace it for what it is: rest. Is rest a crime? I think not. 

If you're not a reader, watch the Brené Brown special on Netflix. Like, now. Please !! All the way through. You'll laugh, and then you'll cry.

I have also been feeling super motivated in the business aspect of my life, which also brings in an insane amount of fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of failure, fear of success. I was struggling with all of this internally and a friend of mine (hi, Kandice!) recommended Rachel Hollis's newest podcast What's Keeping You From Making a Million Dollars?
I wouldn't have listened to it normally because I don't exactly consider myself a "million dollar" candidate (working on that mindset change, k?) but I cried THREE TIMES during this podcast. It's for anyone, in my opinion. It taught my that I am absolutely, 100% deserving of the success that is coming for me. As someone who constantly talks down to myself for being less-than perfect, this was exactly what I needed to hear. 

This coming week my goal is to talk to myself with the same grace and gentleness that I would talk to my son if he were thinking the same way that I am. Would I ever say to him "You're so f'n awful I can't believe you ate that Taco Bell and only vacuumed today Dean, WTF?? When are you going to get your life together?" 
NO.
I would say, "Look how much you accomplished, bub! And so what if you ate Taco Bell? You wanted it! Eat something healthy for dinner. Don't be so hard on yourself!" 
What if we all talked to ourselves with that kind of compassion and love?

lovelovelove, 
Tanner




Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig