Lifestyle blog written by Tanner Mathewson

Monday, May 13, 2019

4 Different Ways to Wear Dirty Hair in a Bun

My go- to hairstyle during a typical work week is a bun, for obvious reasons. Between working out or just not having the energy to wash, blow dry, and style my hair on a daily basis these styles save me. I work in a salon where pretty much everyone is super put together and stylish on a daily basis, so as much as I would love to show up in my (usually) shameless ratchet attire, that's not really an option for me. 

I've tried to organize these styles on a scale of 1-4. Style number one being "Not too dirty" and style number four being "I should have washed my hair two days ago but I'm not going to." With all of these styles I've added some hoop earrings and fake lashes. Nothing distracts from unwashed hair better than accessories and some good makeup. 

I understand that my hair is relatively long and extremely thick, so it's pretty easy for me to get a giant bun. For those of you with thin and/or short hair, I would suggest throwing in a weft or two of extensions or adding a texture spray and backcombing your ponytail before you make a bun. Or all of the above. 


I started all of these styles with leftover messy curls. I prepped my root with some dry shampoo and my ends with some texture spray. If you would like a how- to on my go-to messy waves, I will link my tutorial here. 


Bun #1

1. Section out the pieces you would like to leave out. If you don't have any that are short enough, ask your stylist to cut some at your next appointment!


2. Pull hair into a high pony tail and secure with a rubber band.


3. Pull apart hair around the face and at the root for texture and volume. Don't be afraid to make it messy. If it feels too loose just tighten the rubber band and try adjusting again.


4. Twist the pony tail and then wrap it around the base, where the rubber band is. Play with it until you get the general shape that you want. 


5. Tuck the ends of the ponytail underneath the bun. Secure it by wrapping another rubber band around the bun. 


6.  Bobby pin the bun down in the front and the back. Pull it apart where it needs to be bigger. 


Done!

Bun #2

1. Section out the bang. Part the hair down the middle.


2. Pull hair into a low ponytail. Wrap the rubber band around a few times, but on the last wrap-around don't pull the hair all the way through. Pull apart the hair at the crown to create volume and texture.


3. Grab the half of the ponytail that is hanging out and wrap it around the rubber band. 


4. Bobby pin the hair around the rubber band. Adjust any pieces that look too tight, and pull down/leave out any pieces that you would like to hang down.


Done!

Bun #3

1. Pull all of the hair into a high ponytail and secure it with a rubber band. Pull out any baby hairs around the face.


2. Twist the ponytail and then wrap it around the base of the pony. 


3. Tuck the ends of the ponytail underneath the bun.


4. Wrap a second rubber band around the bun to secure it. Go in with a couple of bobby pins to attach any weird height to the base of your scalp. Pull the bun apart where it is too small. 


Done!

Bun #4


1. Part hair down the middle or on the side, wherever your natural part falls. 


2. Tuck the hair behind the ears. I try to position the hair behind my ears exactly how I want it to look when it's going to be in the bun.


3. Secure the hair into a ponytail at the nape of the neck with a rubber band.


4. Spray the sides of the head along the part with water or hairspray. I prefer water, because I hate the feel of hairspray. I use the Kristin Ess Signature Hair Water because it smells amazing and comes out in a fine mist. I use it to smooth any fly aways and give the hair a sleek look. Is my hair oily? Maybe. Or did I make it look wet on purpose? No one knows. BOOM.


5. Twist the ponytail and wrap it around the base of the rubberband. Secure with a second rubber band.


6. Secure the bun to the head using bobby pins. The more sleek, the better. No messy pieces left out on this one.



Done!

Thank you so much for reading, as always if you have any questions PLEASE don't hesitate to message me on Instagram! I live for this shit! Pick my brain any time! 

lovelovelove,
Tanner

























Share:

1 comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig